yeast consulting Services. Help and information for patients with yeast infections
Physician Referrals
Yeast Links
Contact Dr. Crandall

Dr. Marjorie Crandall, Owner, Yeast Consulting Services

Dr. Crandall, Founder of Yeast Consulting Services


Frequently Asked Questions about

Yeast Infections & Medical Terminology


Q: What terms are used to describe yeast infections?


A: Your doctor might use a different term for yeast infections such as Candida albicans, Candida, Candida infections, Candida yeast infections, candidiasis, Monilia, moniliasis, Oidium, fungus, fungal infections, mycoses and mycological infections.


Q: What is the proper way to pronounce Candida?


A: Candida is pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable: kan′ di dah. Look it up in the dictionary! If you mispronounce it as kan dee′ dah, you will lose your credibility with establishment doctors.


Q: What are the different types of yeast infections?


A: Yeast infections that occur on body surfaces are called superficial. While yeast infections on skin and mucous membranes are annoying, they are not serious and therefore are classified as benign. Examples of superficial candidiasis include oral thrush, Candida pharyngitis, Candida esophagitis, intestinal yeast overgrowth (the yeast syndrome), colic, vaginal yeast infections, vulvodynia (vulvar vestibulitis), “jock itch,” Candida prostatitis, yeast infections of the penis (balanitis), skin rash, diaper rash, anal itching and/or burning, denture stomatitis, Candida allergy, candidiasis hypersensitivity and id reaction. Granulomatous candidiasis (previously called chronic mucocutaneous candidiasis) is due to congenital immune defects. Yeast infection of the bloodstream (candidemia) is intermediate in seriousness. Yeast infection of the deep organs (liver, kidney and spleen) is called disseminated, invasive, systemic, or hematogenous candidiasis. It occurs only in immunocompromised patients and is life threatening.


Q: My nutritionist told me I had “systemic yeast.” But my family doctor said that I couldn’t have systemic candidiasis since my immune system is normal. Who is right?


A: Your family doctor is right because the term “systemic yeast” is a misnomer. The correct term is the yeast syndrome. It is due to chronic intestinal candidiasis and can produce systemic symptoms. Read the section on Pathogenesis in my Book to learn how Candida produces symptoms in the gut as well as throughout the body.


Copyright, 1996 to 2024, Marjorie Crandall, Ph.D.
Web site by:
SHS Web Design
Privacy Notice Site Map